Reasons for Dropouts of School Girls: A Study on Saidpur of Nilphamary District
The study was conducted to identify the reasons behind girl‟s dropout from school in rural areas of
Bangladesh and understand the problem to find out possible solutions. A questionnaire survey, case
study and focus group discussion were selected as study instrumentations which were administered at
Golna Union of Saidpur Upazila of Nilphamari district. The study identified some socio-cultural and
economic reasons behind the girl‟s dropout problem. Economic vulnerability of the families was the
primary reason identified behind the problem. Some other problems identified are like dowry, child
marriage, the unemployment problem, tendencies to get a job at Uttara Export Processing Zone
(UEZP) and, insufficient cash support for continuing study. Creating job opportunities through
industrialization and transferring extra agricultural labour were identified as the best possible
solutions. Also, immediate steps against the dowry system and child marriage, guide book and tuition
study system, engaging Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) in development activities have been
recommended to mitigate the problem. Solving girl‟s dropout problem warrants a holistic approach,
engaging all the possible stakeholders to build a quality education system and a socio-economically
transformed society for the future generation.
- Copyright is retained by the author(s).
- Authors consent to publish the article and identify them as the original publisher.
- Authors also grant any third party the right to use the article freely as long as its integrity is maintained and its original authors, citation details and publisher are identified.
- The users can use, reuse and build upon the material published in the journal but only for non-commercial purposes.
- This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, adaptation, and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited.