Electronic Toll Collection System in Bangladesh: Challenges and Prospects
Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) system using radio frequency identification (RFID) is a digital technology that allows vehicles to pass through the toll plaza without stopping for toll payment. The most notable advantage of this technology is that it eliminates congestion near the toll booths. Toll operators could also be benefitted from the implementation of ETC. In this study, problems and prospects of introducing ETC in Bangladesh have been assessed with the help of the Questionnaire Survey and Key Informant Interview. A total of nine samples were surveyed. It was revealed from the study that there are both problems and prospects of introducing ETC in Bangladesh. Seventy percent of respondents know about the launching of ETC in Bangladesh. The respondents stalwartly perceive that ETC would help ease traffic jams created by long queues in the manual payment of toll. There are many challenges in introducing ETC in Bangladesh. As this is a new technology, it would take time to overcome the difficulties. Efforts from all corners can move the ETC forward and make excellent use of the modern and digital technology in the payment of toll in line with the viewpoint of Digital Bangladesh.
Keywords: Electronic toll collection (ETC), radio frequency identification (RFID), toll plaza, questionnaire survey, key informant interview
- Copyright is retained by the author(s).
- Authors consent to publish the article and identify them as the original publisher.
- Authors also grant any third party the right to use the article freely as long as its integrity is maintained and its original authors, citation details and publisher are identified.
- The users can use, reuse and build upon the material published in the journal but only for non-commercial purposes.
- This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, adaptation, and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited.